Assistive technology, Telecare and Telehealth covers a range of electronic equipment and services that can help people with physical, sensory or mental health difficulties continue to live safely and independently at home.
Accord Care & Support is using assistive technology to great effect in several of our schemes including our Reablement apartments at Showell Court and at our superb, new housing with care for people with dementia, Arden Grove
Assistive technology can be particularly helpful to carers, giving them more freedom to carry on with everyday activities without having to worry about the safety of the person they are caring for.
The equipment can identify risks such as smoke and floods, can remind you to take pills and even call for help if you fall. Telecare can also warn you of problems by sounding an alarm, a flashing light or vibration
There are many situations when technology can help. For example if you:
- Tend to forget to take medication on time
- Are at risk if leaving your house alone
- Could become ill if the room gets too warm or too cold
- Can't react to emergencies within the home
- Need a light to be automatically switched on if you get up at night
- Care for someone but cannot be with them all the time
- Are at risk of falling
- Have carers that need to be alerted when you need help.
Accord works with professionals, customers and their families or carers to ensure appropriate access to a range of equipment and telehealth solutions. A number of our services have trusted assessors who can help gain speedy and appropriate access to the right equipment to meet individual needs. Funding for assistive technology solutions will be different in each area but our staff will talk to you about the different options available to you.